Need upper body support? Invest in a well-fitted sports bra.
You've just started jogging, or taking classes at a gym. You've invested in the leggings, top and shoes - but what about your Sports Bra? Follow these steps to make sure you get the perfect one for you.
It's important that you try on bras for fit and comfort, so try to do your shopping in person. Go to a running specialty store because they'll have high-impact sports bras that are designed especially for runners.
• For chafing prevention and comfort, look for moisture-wicking fabrics such as Coolmax and Drifit.
• Stay away from bras that are made of 100% cotton because once you start sweating, they'll stay wet.
• If you need a lot of support, look for wide shoulder straps and racer back straps.
• Examine the seams of the bras. You'll want seamless fabrics, seams with rolled edges, or covered seams to help prevent chafing.
• If you like bras with under wire, check that the under wire is completely covered so it will not gouge.
• Make sure you try on several different size bras. The right size for you may not actually be the cup size that you normally wear. The bra is too big if the material wrinkles or bunches. And if the bra is cutting into your skin, then it's too small. If you can slide two fingers under the straps, then it's a good fit.
• When you try on bras, jog in place or do jumping jacks to test their support before you buy. While you're bouncing up and down, the bra should minimize breast movement.
• The Berlei Shock Absorber Bra is great for larger breasted women and for runners.
• A great website to look at for the right sports bra http://www.berlei.com.au
After you find the perfect sports bra, buy two not just one and don't hold onto one forever! You should replace bras after about 72 washes, when the elasticity is lost, or if your weight changes significantly. You can air dry bras to prolong the life of the moisture-wicking fabrics.
Author: Monique Rana - Vitasoy Ambassador & Co-Owner of BodyTech Gym NZ. (http://www.soy.com.au/id-like-to-try-soy-milk/total-health-management/well-being/these-are-a-few-of-my-favourite-things)