The era of the sculpted arm is here. And anyone can have them, no matter what your age. Follow these four toning exercises that work the chest, shoulders and arms.
What you need
- 2 sets of dumbbells (1.5 or 2.5 kilograms and 3.5 or 4.5 kilograms)
- An exercise ma
- Do 2 sets of 10-12 repetitions, with 30 seconds rest between each set, 2-3 times a week Ideally, try not to do these on consecutive days
Always check with your GP before starting any new exercise program.
- Lie on your back on the floor, knees bent, feet flat, arms with light dumbbells extended overhead
- Contract your abdominals as you raise dumbbells in an arc so they rest on the floor beside you
In step 2, as your arms come overhead, curl your upper body up into an abdominal crunch, bringing your chest towards your knees.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart
- Hold a light dumbbell in your right hand and your arm straight up overhead (support arm with left hand to stop it flaring out to the side, keep it straight)
- Bend elbow, lowering dumbbell behind head, then straighten it up
Use a heavier dumbbell.
- Hold a light dumbbell (or not, if too much) in each hand in a horizontal position
- Get into a push-up position with hands directly under shoulders and knees under hips
- Engage your abdominals to stabilise and raise your left arm straight out to the side, parallel to the floor. Hold for a second, slowly lower and repeat
Take knees off mat to balance in a plank position.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms by your sides with a heavy dumbbell in each hand, palms forward
- Bend elbows until arms are at 90°
- Bring dumbbell to shoulders, keeping elbows against your sides